Monday, August 31, 2009

Mysore: Primary

The last time we did full primary in Led, I realized that my recent focus on 2nd (and the overall routine-upset of summer) had weakened me in the transitions. I’ve never had the jumpback, but before I started intermediate, I was at least doing that awkward pickup attempt before most of them to build strength. I found I wasn’t even doing that anymore.

So I decided to dedicate a Mysore practice a week to Primary. Right now I try to get to 3-4 classes per week at the practice space (summer has been harder). Two Mysore and two Led. On other days I practice at home, but it isn’t Ashtanga. It is more like a series of exercises and stretches and it is workshoppy. So considering I only get 2 full intermediate practices a week, giving up one is pretty significant…but it will be worth it. And as I got through Primary, I realized I need it.

The space was warm when I arrived (late) because there were already 6 people in there building heat. I got right into it and was sweating up a storm in no time. For some reason I felt nice and light jumping forward to Uttanasana today in the Suryas. Sweet!

I have to say, I *love* the vinyasa/transition between Utkatasana and Virabhadrasana 1. Why does it feel so good? You’re so much warmer than in the Suryas and that Chaturanga-updog feels fab!

I got a rockin’ adjustment in Marichyasana C. I don’t push this one anymore…I have a fairly wide range of motion in my twists but if I get too twisty my QL can act up the following days. If I am feeling gentle I won’t even take the wrist in C, and I’ve stopped taking the wrist in D (unless assisted). In fact I don’t even know if I can do it alone anymore. Once I started linking fingers in pashasana I decided not to push as hard in the marichyasanas and my midback agrees with me.

I’ve been kinda regretting my laziness in Navasana and decided today was day 1 of my new relationship with it. Straightened the legs, pointed the toes, it was not near as low as J would have wanted but I was happy with it. It will improve. Bhuji was OK, I did touch my feet before lowering my head and (as usual) on the way back up. I wasn’t able to hold the full breath count. This one still needs work.

Supta Kurmasana is one of the ones I always hated and is now one of my faves. I’ve had smoother binds, but this one was fine. Walked the feet in (how on earth do people lift the feet – no idea) and crossed them.

Today I graduated from hands under hips to hands over head UD-style in Setu Bandhasana and it felt really strong and grounded today. Dare I say, I liked it?? Even better than hands under hips??

That’s it for now – I’m working on a post describing the LBH work I’ll be doing in the evenings for the next little while. Started this last night and there is a lot of work to be done.

No comments: